Pages

Selasa, 26 Oktober 2010

Orange Glazed Beets CrockPot Recipe


Beets. This is a recipe for beets.
I know.

I'm sorry.

the good news is that I've got Brussels Sprouts on the way!

ha! :-)

The Ingredients.
serves 6
4 medium beets, peeled and sliced in 1/4-inch slices
1/4 cup butter
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon orange zest
1/4 cup orange juice

The Directions.

Use a 4-quart slow cooker. Put on very old clothes, and then put on an apron---beets stain, TERRIBLY! If you've got a white countertop, consider putting down a layer of newspaper or paper bags while you're peeling.
Peel and slice the beets, and put them into your cooker. Add butter, brown sugar, orange zest, and orange juice. Toss with spoons to distribute the zest and sugar. Don't worry that your butter is still in a clump.
Cover and cook on low for 5 hours, or on high for 2 to 3. The beets are done when they have reached desired tenderness. You want a fork to insert easily, and the beets to be able to be cut with the edge of a fork.

The Verdict.

I am not a beet person. Someone in the house (whose name rhymes with Zadam), really likes beets, and gets excited when he gets them at a restaurant---either cooked, or the jelled kind from a can in a salad (the jelled kind reminds me of a blood clot).

You're welcome.

:-)

Anyhow, even though I'm not a beet person, I actually really enjoyed the flavor and texture. They were sweet and kind of earthy. I ate a few, but they were mostly devoured by the other grownup in the house. I ruined the chance of the kids even being in the same room while we were eating them because of my blood clot comment.

oops.

other stuff with beets:

that's it! I'm no Dwight Schrute...