Pages

Senin, 04 Oktober 2010

(Gluten Free) Oreo Cheesecake Slow Cooker Recipe



You've been really good lately. You've been so good you should make an Oreo Cheesecake.

Hopefully you're more patient than I am and wait until it's fully cool before trying to cut into it to post a photo on the internet.

Ever since I made traditional and pumpkin cheesecake, I've promised the kids I'd make an Oreo version. I finally hunted down gluten free chocolate sandwich cookies we could all eat (I used the Glutino brand) and am so glad I did. You're going to need the entire package of cookies, so buy two if you want to sneak any.

The Ingredients.
serves 6

 
for the crust:
10 chocolate cream-filled sandwich cookies (Oreo if you're not GF, Glutino brand if you are)
3 tablespoons butter, melted (I always use salted butter even when baking because I'm a rebel)

for the filling:
2 (8-ounce) blocks cream cheese, room temp
1/2 cup sugar 
2 large eggs, room temp
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour (I use Pamela's Baking mix as my GF AP flour. General Mills has a new GF Bisquick that would work)
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
10 chocolate cream-filled sandwich cookies, crushed (Oreo if you're not GF, Glutino brand if you are)
 
The Directions.
Use a 6-quart slow cooker and inserted oven-safe dish that can fit all the way inside of the stoneware. You're going to use the cooker as a bain-marie, or water bath. I used a 1.5-quart oval Corningware.

In a zippered freezer bag, crush ten cookies until they are teensy crumbs. Pour the melted butter into the bag and squeeze around until it's combined. Press this crumb mixture into the bottom of your inserted casserole dish. This is your crust.

In a mixing bowl, cream together the cheese, sugar, eggs, flour, cream, and vanilla with a handheld or stand mixer. Crush the other 10 sandwich cookies (not into miniscule pieces, but small) and stir by hand into the batter. Pour batter ontop of the crust.

Add 1/2 to 1 cup of water into the empty stoneware and slowly lower the casserole dish in, being careful not to slosh water into your cheesecake.

Cover and cook on high for 2 to 3 hours, checking after 1 hour. Your cheesecake is done when the edges are no longer shiny and have begun to brown. Lightly touch the center to see if it's set (if you get a lots of gunk on your finger, it's not set!).

Unplug the cooker, and let the cheesecake sit in the cooker uncovered for one hour before removing and transferring the dish to the refrigerator. Cool completely before slicing and serving.

The Verdict.

Gee, we all liked this----surprise, surprise! I have no made quite a few cheesecakes in the slow cooker, and love serving them to my friends. I'm giddy each and every time at just how simple the process is, and how little room for error crockpotting has with such a delicate dessert.

yay for cheesecake!
yay that Glutino makes gluten free Oreos!

today, my big girl turns nine. This is what we did two years ago.