Pages

Kamis, 14 Oktober 2010

Old Fashioned Pot Roast Slow Cooker Recipe



When I first started crockpotting, my potroasts were pretty one-note. I made them the same way each and every time, and my two "secret" ingredients were a packet of Lipton Onion Soup mix and a can of cream of something soup.

I'm not against these ingredients---there is MOST DEFINITELY a place in the world for these products, but now that I label-read for both health and entertainment (yes. you read that right. I read food labels for fun. please don't judge ;-0.), I choose not to use them except for on a very occasional basis (if you are gluten free, there are now products on the market that are safe to use, and a simple google search should uncover the manufacturers).

Man, that was a mouthful. And it was with words, not food. On to the food!

The Ingredients.
serves 6 to 8

thank you to Grandpa John for this beautiful roast!

4 pounds beef roast (chuck or rump)
2 tablespoons flour (I used a GF baking mix)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, sliced in rings
2 large Russet potatoes, cut in 2-inch chunks
1 cup baby carrots (or peeled and cut regular carrots!)
1 cup sliced celery
3 tablespoons gluten free Worcestershire sauce (Lea & Perrins made in the USA ONLY is GF. If you're Canadian or live elsewhere, have an American ship you some!)
1/2 cup beef broth (if you've got red wine open, you could use that. and save me some. I'm typing this Wed night 8pm, and I've been up since 2am... my shoulders are above my ears)

The Directions.

Use a 6-quart slow cooker. Okay, I browned this meat. I hate cooking before I cook, but my father-in-law brought over this GORGEOUS piece of meat and I felt the right thing to do was to pretend I knew what to do with a big gorgeous piece of meat so I browned it.
The browning provides a bit of texture and if you have a more sophisticated palate than I do, perhaps you notice a difference.
but it's up to you. 

This is what I did:

In a plastic zippered bag, shake a thawed beef roast with flour, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Remove roast from the bag and brown all sides in a large skillet with olive oil. While your meat is browning, place the sliced onion in the bottom of the cooker. Add meat, and toss in the potatoes, celery, and carrots. Pour worcestershire and beef broth (or wine) on top. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours. If your meat isn't as moist as you'd like nearing serving time, take it out and cut it into a few pieces and return it to the pot to soak up more juice.

A dry roast isn't from over slowcooking, it's from under slowcooking!

The Verdict.

This is what pot roast should taste like!! We served this at a Sunday family dinner, and it went over really well. I appreciated that I could play in the yard and fold laundry while dinner cooked itself. The girls set the table, and the boys cleaned up---meaning the "work" part of my dinner was over by 8 am!

score!

other hunk of meat recipes:
Day 14 of Crocktober!