Pages

Sabtu, 23 Oktober 2010

CrockPot Tex Mex Pot Roast Recipe


There's nothing like a big hunk of meat to warm you up on a chilly day. This is man-pleasin' food. My brother, dad, and Adam all ate big helpings. Although I only used 2 pounds of meat, the beans and the corn really stretches both the servings and the number served. 
The Ingredients.
serves 8
2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast
1 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
1 (15-ounce) can chili beans, undrained
1 (11-ounce) can corn with peppers, undrained
1 (10-ounce) can Rotel (tomatoes and chiles), undrained

* The can of beans pictured are the Bush's brand.  Amy pointed out that on Bush's website they say that their brand of Chili beans ARE NOT GLUTEN FREE. Please use a different brand (or use Ranch beans), and always read labels carefully and check with the manufacturer. The ingredient list looked absolutely fine to me, but I didn't take the second step of confirming with the manufacturer. I hate stuff like this. HATE it. Thank you so much, Amy.

The Directions.

Use a 6-quart slow cooker. This is a super simple dump and go recipe--my favorite kind! The meat was frozen solid when I put it into the cooker. The rule of thumb is that if your main ingredient is frozen, the other items should be room temperature or warmed slightly. This is according to Crock-Pot's website. If you have a different manufacturer, follow instructions and use your best judgment. :-)

After your meat is in, add the chipotle chile powder and all the canned ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours, or on high for 4 to 6. I like to cook it long enough that the meat falls apart--but you may take it out whenever it reaches your preferred desired tenderness.

The Verdict.

I served this with a baked potato (which you can totally do in the crock, if you are so inclined), to 5 adults and two children. The dishes were clean when I loaded them into the dishwasher...
woo hoo, success!