Pages

Senin, 02 Juli 2012

Not Another Boring Cola Roast


Happy July! Are you gearing up for the Fourth? I love the 4th of July -- I especially like going for walks and seeing all the flags -- they make me feel protected and proud.

We always have typical American food on the 4th, which to my family means the staples: hot dogs, hamburgers, potato salad, and corn on the cob (don't worry, I'll sneak a crockpot or two in there--- probably with some baked beans). It's my grandma's birthday, and we'll finish our meal with chocolate cake.

I'm looking forward to it.

I've got a great recipe for you today, perfect if you end up with leftover soda after your Independence Day festivities. Sometimes cola roasts can seem a bit one-note. This one is not. I've made it a few times, now, and really appreciate how the canned chiles and smoky chipotle hit all sides of your tongue.

The photo below has a small piece of meat shown; I was recipe-testing when I snapped that photo. If you do use a small piece of meat, move down to a 4-quart slow cooker.

The Ingredients.
serves 6 (if you shred the meat and serve in sandwiches, you can feed 8-10)


4 pound pork roast (bone in or out; I've used both pork tenderloin and a shoulder/butt)
1 (7-ounce) can fire roasted diced green chiles
1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili pepper (remember, the canned chipotles in adobo are not gluten free)
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup cola

The Directions.

Use a 6-quart slow cooker. Place the meat into the bottom of your cooker. In a small mixing bowl, combine the chiles, tomato paste, cumin, garlic powder, chili pepper, sugar, and salt. Stir to create a paste, and then smear this mixture on all sides of your meat. If you have time to do so, you can marinate your meat in this mixture overnight (in a sealed plastic bag or tupperware; it's not recommended to refrigerate the stoneware and then cook in it).
Pour in cola.
Cover, and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours, or until pork has relaxed and begun to fall apart. If you used pork tenderloin, slice thinly and serve over rice or mashed potatoes. If you opted for a shoulder roast, shred completely using two large forks.

Enjoy!

The Verdict.

I like how the resulting pork is sweet but not in-your-face sticky sweet. It's got a bit of a kick, but it's not spicy enough to deter small children. I think I might like the cold leftovers even better--- I toasted hamburger buns (we use the Udi's brand) and added pickle relish and sliced cheddar for a next-day sandwich.

Have a wonderful and safe Fourth of July, and happy birthday to Grandma Bunny!!

other stuff you might like: