Pages

Minggu, 15 Juli 2012

Basil Chicken with Feta Slow Cooker Recipe



I'm sitting here munching on cold chicken (because it even tastes good cold!) while I'm typing. Adam and the kids are in the front room watching Star Wars (I don't know which one--- the one with the little Ewok guys) and I snuck out of the room to share our dinner.

Because you need to make this.


We've begun growing basil for the first time (well, we've tried growing basil before, but this is the first year it's actually producing instead of withering up while glaring at me). I'm pretty sure the difference between this year's basil bounty and previous crops are the gnomes. 

And maybe that I'm remembering to water.

The Ingredients.
serves 4-6 (4 grown-ups, or 2 grownups and a handful of kids)

2 pounds chicken thighs (mine were boneless, skinless)
1 (14.5-ounce) can fire roasted tomatoes
1 (14.5-ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup pitted green olives
1/4 cup tightly packed basil leaves
8 ounces crumbled feta cheese

The Directions.

Use a 4-quart slow cooker (I used this one). Place the chicken into the bottom of your cooker, and add the entire can of tomatoes, and toss in the rinsed garbanzo beans. Sprinkle on green olives, add the basil leaves(I left my leaves whole) and crumble on the feta cheese. Cover, and cook on low for 6-7 hours, or on high for about 3 hours. If you'd like to use frozen chicken, increase the time about 45 minutes or so. 

The Verdict.

I love how this is a dump-and-go recipe, yet the flavors are so layered and intense it kind of rivals restaurant food. There's a lot of juice accumulated in the bottom of the pot-- you can eat this as is or serve it over brown rice or quinoa with a ladle full of the juice. I served the kids with a box of gluten free cous-cous (it's made from brown rice) but I had mine grain-free because Elana and AndreAnna have piqued my interest in paleo style eating (I should note, though, that you need to omit the feta to keep to keep this truly paleo).

Enjoy your summer!