Pages

Rabu, 23 Maret 2011

Sweet Potato and Chorizo Soup Slow Cooker Recipe


It's another cold, wet, and gray day---which means you should make soup.
In the crockpot.


I found this recipe over a year ago while link-following (that's a verb, right?) Shauna and Danny Ahern, authors of  Gluten Free Girl and The Chef (great cookbook, it should definitely be in your kitchen if it isn't already--not just for GF peeps) and GlutenFreeGirl.com made it for the Pork People (technical term), and I wanted to see if I could crockpotecize (that's definitely a verb) it.

and it worked! This recipe is on page 226 of the new More Make it Fast, Cook it Slow book (which should also most definitely be in your kitchen), but I never posted it online.
oops.

so here you go!

The Ingredients.
serves 8
7 cups chicken broth
7 ounces chorizo sausage, sliced (pork, beef, turkey, veggie; your choice)
2 large carrots, peeled and chopped (or a handful of baby carrots)
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
1 3/4 pounds (about 3 large) sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
8 tablespoons sour cream (for serving)

The Directions.

Use a 6-quart slow cooker. Pour in the chicken broth and add the sliced chorizo (no need to brown first, YAY!). Add the carrots, onion, sweet potatoes, and garlic Don't worry about chopping your vegetables in pretty shapes----it's all going to be blended together anyhow (after cooking).
Stir in the curry powder and chile flakes.
Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, or on high for 4 to 5 hours (low is better, IMO). Before serving, use a hand-held stick blender to blend the soup completely (even the chorizo. I know, it sounds weird, but trust me). Ladle into bowls and serve with a dollop of sour cream.

The Verdict.

I was fascinated by this ingredient list and am so glad that I gave it a try. It's velvety and smooth, with a great depth of flavor. The heat sneaks up but isn't overwhelming. You can omit the red pepper flakes if you're worried about the spice, and then add at the table to the grown-up servings. My girls thought it was a bit too firery, but liked scooping the sour cream off the top and dunked corn bread into the soup and ate it that way.
Adam is not a soup guy (he keeps reminding me of this, and I keep forgetting), but he practically licked his bowl clean. I've got more chorizo in the freezer earmarked just for this!

yet again, I'm behind with the 2008 flashbacks. I have no idea how I got through that year of cooking and posting daily---I'm having trouble posting weekly now!

March 10 Creamed Spinach (shhh. it's good for you!)
March 11 Dulce de Leche (you aren't supposed to make this. and that's all I should really say, probably)
March 12 Ginger Teriyaki Tofu (I'm the only one who ate this)
March 13 Blue Cheese and Steak Roll-Ups (fancy schmancy)
March 14 French Onion Soup (seriously good. even if you're not a "soup guy")
March 15 Creamy Avocado Chipotle Soup (sounds odd. kind of is.)
March 16 Roasted Cabbage and Potatoes (sometimes I don't know what to type in the parentheses)
March 17 Apricot Chicken (this is what I make when we have company with kids)
March 18 Hardboiled Eggs (you can hardboil eggs in the crockpot! but that doesn't mean you should.)
March 19 Leg of Lamb (the absolute best way to cook lamb---really. moist, delicious, perfect)
March 20 Sweet and Spicy Salmon (spring is a great time to cook fish in the crockpot)
March 21 Overnight Breakfast Potatoes with Sausage (cooking while you sleep is the ultimate in luxury. that, and maybe a butler?)
March 22 Traditional Beef Stew (there are as many variations of stew as there are missing Barbie shoes)
March 23 Taco Dip (I have a few different taco dip recipes. this is the first one)

Happy Slow Cooking! Have a great week!