Pages

Kamis, 27 Desember 2012

Black Eyed Pea Chili in the Slow Cooker




2012 is practically over which means it's been nearly 5 years since I had my first bowl of Black Eyed Peas. I wasn't impressed.

I've grown a lot since then. 

We've eaten black eyed peas every single New Year ever since, and I can't imagine ringing in another January 1st without them. This year's edition has a twist, though, since I continue to get emails from people complaining that black eyed peas taste like dirt.

I know what they mean --- there's definitely an "earthy" flavor, and while soaking helps, there's really no denying that these beans taste rather BEAN-Y.

So, I've tried my hardest to mask that earthy component by turning these lucky little guys into a chili. And it's a pretty darn good chili, if I do say so myself. 
While I type, I've got 2/3 of my kids eating bowlfuls and they are making yummy noises. Adam's not home yet, but I'm pretty sure he'll eat not only his bowl but the unattended serving.

Have an absolutely wonderful (and SAFE!) New Year.

Need party drinks? My friend Jen, the cocktail lady, has got you covered!!

The Ingredients.
serves 8


1 pound dry black eyed peas, soaked overnight and drained
1 pound lean ground meat, browned and drained
1 onion, peeled, chopped, and browned
4 cloves garlic, peeled, chopped, and browned
28 ounces diced tomatoes (and juice!)
1 (15-ounce) can corn (and juice!)
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt (and maybe more at the table to taste)
2 cups beef broth

The Directions.

Use a 6-quart slow cooker. In a large skillet on the stovetop (I used the Ninja) brown the meat, onion, and garlic. Drain any accumulated fat, and put the meat mixture into your slow cooker. Add soaked and drained beans.  [note: if you don't have time to presoak the beans, bring them to a boil on the stovetop for 10 minutes, then turn of heat and cover. Let sit for one hour, then drain.]

Add the entire cans of tomato and corn. Stir in dried spices and the beef broth. Cover, and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours, or until beans are bite tender and flavors have melded. Serve with your favorite chili toppings. We used shredded cheese, a dollop of sour cream, and some avocado slices.

The Verdict.

I really really liked this, and think you will, too. The chili flavor is mild, and there isn't any heat. If you like heat, I'd suggest tweaking at the table with some Tabasco, because the tang from the Tabasco is awesome with black eyed peas. My kids did well, and liked that I included corn, because it reminded them of Taco Soup.

other stuff:
--start 2013 off on the right foot with a copy of my Totally Together: Shortcuts to an Organized Life planner. We're giving away 5 copies this week!
--Hoppin' John Recipe
--Black Eyed Pea Soup


Have a wonderful New Year!!