Pages

Selasa, 28 Mei 2013

Citrus Glazed Chicken Slow Cooker Recipe





I've labeled the above photo so you know what it is --- it's human food, I promise. I struggle with my food photography. I've taken classes, and know that I'm supposed to take the food out of the pot when it's a bit under-done or when it has just finished cooking.

I own lighting and a backdrop. I'm just now realizing that the little "wb" on my camera means white balance and what the different little symbols are supposed to do.

But I don't follow the rules I'm supposed to follow, and more often than not, I plate the food for the family before realizing that I have broken all the guidelines and I have YET AGAIN produced an ugly looking plate of food.

Yeeps. I'm sorry about that.

Instead, I can attest to the taste. This is a great citrus chicken -- the flavors are sweet but not candy-coated sweet, and the sauce isn't greasy. My three kids gobbled all of this up, and my husband took the leftovers to work for lunch the next day.

I used a 4-quart slow cooker because it was already out on the countertop. If you'd like to use a larger pot, increase the quantities by 1/3.

Enjoy!

[updated. Thank you to Barbara G. for highlighting my photo in photoshop and sending it back for me to upload!!]

Citrus Glazed Chicken.
serves 4-6
 



2 oranges, peeled and separated into segments
3 pounds chicken thighs (I use boneless/skinless, your choice)
1 onion, sliced in rings
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup orange juice
1/2 cup chili sauce (in the ketchup aisle)
1 tablespoon gluten-free soy sauce
1 tablespoon molasses
1 teaspoon ground mustard
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

The Directions

Use a 4-quart slow cooker. Put the orange segments into the bottom of your cooker, and place the chicken directly on top, and add the onion rings. In a mixing bowl, combine the garlic, orange juice, chili sauce, soy sauce, molasses, ground mustard, ginger, and pepper. Whisk together and pour evenly on top of the chicken. Cover, and cook on low for 5-6 hours, or on high for about 4 hours. Serve on a bed of rice with a spoonful of accumulated juices.


The Verdict.
The whole family loved this dish, and I've made it a few times TV-Dinner style to have ready to go in the freezer. The orange segments cook away and slightly disappear in the sauce, but give off great orange flavor and texture. If you'd prefer a slightly sweeter version, you can certainly use canned mandarin oranges instead of the fresh.
I have a stash of chili sauce in the house because the store was running a special, but if you're wary of high-fructose (with good reason!) or want a homemade version, here's the recipe I've used with great success:

HomeMade Chili Sauce

makes approximately 2 cups; store in airtight container in the fridge for 6 months

2 cups tomato sauce (not pasta sauce!)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup vinegar (apple cider or white vinegar)
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon allspice
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (just a pinch!)


Don't forget to check out all the great giveaways we've got going on! New giveaways are posted quite often, so keep checking!! :-)