Pages

Rabu, 01 Juni 2011

Slow Cooker Carrot Pudding Recipe


Carrot pudding? Are you serious? That's the recipe you've got today?

I know. It sounds really weird, but I had some with a slab of roast beef at a steakhouse a few years ago and haven't been able to get it out of my mind ever since.

This is a side dish, not a dessert. Serve it alongside a nice juicy steak with a baked potato. Serve it to your inlaws---they'll think you're fancy.

The Ingredients.
serves 10

4 cups grated carrots
1 small onion, grated
1 cup heavy cream
1 egg, beaten
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 tablespoon white granulated sugar

The Directions.

Use a 4-quart slow cooker. If you've only got a big guy, that's okay, but your pudding will cook faster--check it after 2 hours.
Grate the carrots and onion--- Adam bought himself (he said it was for me, but I'm scared to death of the thing, so he uses it each and every time) a  food processor, which is what we used to grate our carrots and the onion. If you want to buy the already-grated carrots (near the bagged salad and coleslaw), go for it.
Add the grated veggies to your crockpot.

In a mixing bowl, combine the cream, egg, salt, nutmeg, and sugar. Pour this mixture into your slow cooker, and stir well. Cover and cook on low for 4 to 5 hours, or on high for about 2 to 3. Your pudding is done when the carrots are tender. Now, using a hand-held stick blender (CAREFULLY) pulse a few times to create a pudding-like consistency. You can also (carefully!!) transfer the carrot concoction to a traditional blender to pulse a bit.

Some might ask if the blending is necessary. I think so. The consistency is changed quite a bit by blending, and the pudding becomes velvety and smooth. You don't want it smooth like baby food, but definitely creamy and combined.

Serve with meat and potatoes for a rich and satisfying meal.

The Verdict.

My kids like this, but have a hard time with the "weird" factor. Adam likes it a lot----we usually pair it with grilled steaks. This is a great companion to a summer cookout when you want something different, but aren't sure what that is exactly.



It's the last week of school for us! I'm terribly excited to have everyone home with me. I'm planning to stay in my slippers each day for as long as I can.

Any big summer plans for you and your family?