Pages

Rabu, 24 Desember 2008

CrockPot Gingerbread Latte Recipe


Day 359.

Santa doesn't want milk this year with his cookies. He'd like a gingerbread latte.

I think this might be my favorite coffee drink I've made. It really hit the spot yesterday around 3pm when I really, really wanted to climb into bed for a nap, but didn't have the time. After 4 or 5 sugar cookies and a latte, I was wide awake until 1am. With any luck, you too can have the same experience.

The Ingredients.

--4 cups milk (cow's, almond, soy, rice, hemp, etc. is just fine.)
--1/2 cup white sugar (I like Baker's sugar because it dissolves nicely)
--2 teaspoons ground ginger
--2 teaspoons vanilla extract
--1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
--1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
--1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
--cinnamon stick, whipped cream for garnish (optional)

--1/2 cup strong black coffee, or a freshly-brewed shot of espresso

The Directions.

This could serve 4, especially if you are adding the milk on top of coffee. Otherwise it serves 2 with a bit of milk left for kid cups.

I used a 4 quart crockpot, you could get away with going as small as a 1.5 to 2 quart.

Put the milk into your crockpot, and whisk in the dried spices. Don't add the coffee.

Cover and cook on low for 3 hours, or high for 1-2. The milk should be quite hot, but if your crockpot tends to get hot enough to boil, keep an eye on it. Don't let the milk boil.

Pour over hot coffee or espresso.

Garnish with whipped cream, a sprinkle of nutmeg, and a cinnamon stick.

The Verdict.

These are wonderful. Very, very tasty. The kids each had a cup of the warm milk mixture with whipped cream and were delighted. Adam didn't get to try any, but I did save my mug for him to smell.

I'm thoughtful that way.

gingerbread not your thing?
peppermint mocha/hot chocolate
pumpkin spice latte
chai tea latte
mulled wine
wassail
holiday (non-alcoholic) punch