Pages

Minggu, 14 Desember 2008

CrockPot Cherries Jubilee


Day 349.

I am still having photo uploading issues. I'm working on it, and fingers are crossed that in a few hours everything will be good to go.

I wasn't planning on making Cherries Jubilee yesterday, but the kids and I were watching a Paula Deen episode and she made some. Adam was already at the grocery store (buying duck! ack!) so we called him and had him bring home some canned cherries. It's a good thing, too, because the ducks were so frozen they bounced on the kitchen counter.

The Ingredients.

2 T butter, melted
1 T cornstarch
2 (15-ounce) cans pitted black cherries in heavy syrup, but NOT pie filling
2 T white sugar
1/4 tsp lemon zest
1/4 cup brandy (optional)
vanilla ice cream

The Directions.

I used a 1 quart crockpot. Melt butter in the microwave, and whisk in cornstarch until it's completely dissolved. Drain cans of cherries, and add to crockpot. Pour in cornstarch mixture. Add sugar and lemon zest. No need to stir. If you're going to add the brandy, do so now.

Cook on high for 2 hours, and serve hot over vanilla ice cream. Paula lit her cherries jubilee on fire to burn off the alcohol. I tried to do that, but it didn't work, and I ended up getting cherry juice all over my long wand-lighter thingy and now it doesn't ignite. I wouldn't put the brandy in if you are going to serve to small children.

The Verdict.

This was a fun dessert. I made two batches, one with and one without the brandy. The brandy one tastes like it has brandy in it, and I liked the plain one better. I wish the fire part would have worked, that would have been cool.

I'm off to skin a duck.