Pages

Selasa, 19 Juni 2012

Beer Braised Turkey with Potatoes


Hello there! It's summer time, and just when I think the days couldn't possibly fly by any faster, they do. I love having the girls home with me, and we've been having lots of fun playing board (bored?) games, staying up late, camping in the backyard, and running through the sprinklers.

and we're only in week number two!

Today, though, my 7-year-old has the flu, and there is nothing worse than hearing friends outside riding bikes when you're stuck inside on the couch. She's a good sport, though, and is watching RV on loop (cute movie, ages 7+; quite a few bathroom-related jokes....) while I catch up on computer work.

Although we're in June, and slow cooker fare usually conjures up snowy/rainy days and crisp fall weather, I implore you to NOT forget about your slow cooker during the summer months. It keeps your kitchen cool, and provides more opportunity to play!

Beer Braised Turkey with Potatoes
The Ingredients.
serves 4-6
2 pounds potatoes, washed and quartered (no need to peel)
1 onion, peeled and thinly sliced
3 pounds turkey drumsticks, or a bone-in turkey breast
4 tablespoons butter (melted, or just toss in the half-stick)
1 tablespoon dried basil (or 1/4 cup finely diced fresh basil leaves)
1 lemon, juiced
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 (12-ounce) bottle of beer (Redbridge, by Anheuser Busch is gluten free.) If you'd prefer to not cook with alcohol, you can use a non-alcoholic beer.

The Directions.

Use a 6-quart slow cooker. Place the potatoes and onion into the bottom of your insert, and add turkey on top. Frozen is okay--- and I did try to peel away some of the skin from my legs since I have weird skin issues. Plop in butter, basil, and lemon juice. Sprinkle on salt, and pour in the beer. Cover, and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 4-5 hours.

The Verdict.

I served our turkey dinner with steamed Brussels sprouts, although if I had gotten my act together earlier in the day would have preferred to roast them or make the world's best Brussels sprouts. The turkey was beautifully moist, and the drippings made a fabulous gravy (thicken by reducing in the stove, or by whisking in a cornstarch slurry--1 tablespoon cornstarch with 2 tablespoons cold water).

Save your turkey bones to make soup!


Here's to the BEST. SUMMER. EVER!! What are your plans?