Pages

Selasa, 07 Desember 2010

Candied Acorn Squash Slow Cooker Recipe




Squash is terribly good for you--it has magnesium, potassium, vitamins A and C, and even has a bunch of calcium.
But people don't cook it very often. Because they think it's too hard. Or they don't know how.

That's okay. I didn't really know how for a long time, either. But now I do, and since it's on sale in every grocery store, my family has been eating it more often.

Our new favorite way? Candied.

but not with marshmallows----these guys are candied with apples, walnuts, and a touch of brown sugar.

The Ingredients.
serves 4
1 acorn squash (you can certainly cook more, but use a larger crockpot)
2 apples: peeled, cored, and diced
1 tablespoon butter, melted
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon chopped walnuts (or almonds or pecans)
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

The Directions.

Use a 4-quart slow cooker. Cut the acorn squash in half. This is hard! I've found the easiest way (thanks to my mom) is to microwave the squash for a minute on high to soften the skin. Then use a knife to cut it right down the middle.

Scoop out the seeds (which guinea pigs don't like for some reason) and discard. Put the squash into an empty slow cooker, skin side down. 

In a small mixing bowl, combine the cut up apple, melted butter, brown sugar, walnuts, salt, and cinnamon. Scoop this concoction into the acorn halves.
Lick the spoon. Cover and cook on low for 5 hours, or on high for 2 to 3.

The Verdict.

I get a lot of emails 
(side note: if you've written recently and I haven't gotten back to you, I'm sorry. I needed to declare an email bankruptcy on the First because the 373 left in my inbox just weren't going to happen. I'm so sorry.) about child eating habits.

I have some people who think I pander to the kids and they walk all over me and kids should eat whatever they are served, no matter what. And I have others who are amazed that my kids eat curry, brussels sprouts, artichokes, and lentils.

I'm certainly not perfect, nor are my kids, but I feel like we have a pretty good give-and-take relationship with food. If the family meal isn't pleasing, I usually ask for a try or two, but then they can make a quesadilla or a bowl of cereal or something.

Hmm. Maybe I AM a pushover!

anyway. My kids happily eat a bunch of squash each time it's prepared this way. I'm okay with the bit of sugar and butter, but if you prefer to cut back, I'd suggest trying it this way first, and then cut back after your kids are convinced squash isn't squished bugs.