Pages

Kamis, 09 September 2010

Leftovers for Breakfast Casserole Slow Cooker Recipe


I'm a hermit. Is it okay to be a hermit? I like to go for walks, and I certainly get enough Vitamin D by pulling weeds in the yard and hanging out at soccer practice, but if I had a choice I'd prefer to hang out at home in my jammies.

It's too bad WebVan went under. It'd be great to have milk, bananas, and orange juice delivered (why is it we're ALWAYS out of those things?).

And don't forget to bring fresh coffee.

There you go: that's a business venture to get behind! Breakfast delivery for lazy busy moms.


Or you could just load up the crockpot.
it's probably easier.


The Ingredients.

serves 8

1 (30-ounce) package frozen hash brown potatoes
2 cups diced already-cooked meat (whatever leftovers you have in the house. Great way to use up shredded chicken, pot roast, corned beef, ham, turkey, or any combo you might have)
2 cups diced already-cooked veggies (asparagus, broccoli, roasted veggies, whatever)
8 eggs
1 cup milk (cow, soy, rice, goat)
2 cups shredded cheese (your choice, we usually have a combo of mozzarella and cheddar)
salt and pepper to taste at the table

The Directions.

Use a 6 quart slow cooker and spray the insert with cooking spray. Dump the still-frozen hashbrowns into the pot. In a mixing bowl, whip together the eggs and milk and stir in your cut up veggies, meat, and cheese.
Don't season right now, because your meat and veggies will have whatever flavor they had when they were first cooked (and ham and corned beef tend to have a lot of salt taste already), but instead season at the table. Pour this mixture on top of the hashbrowns.

Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours (it's exactly 7 in my elume) or on high for about 3-4. If you've never cooked breakfast overnight in your cooker, opt for the low end of the cooking time. You can always let it cook on high if it's not quite done in the morning, or let it happily sit on warm until you're wide awake and ready for breakfast.

Michelle says she can't cook food overnight, though, because the smell keeps her awake! I don't have a suggestion for that... sorry. :-)

The Verdict.

This is a GREAT way to use up extra food from having company over or food left from holiday dinners. I know some of you are uncomfortable not having an exact recipe to follow, and I get it. I really do.
I promise though, that there is little room for error when crockpotting. If you like the ingredients going in, they'll taste good mixed in a casserole. If you can't stand asparagus, please don't use it! Use what tastes good TO YOU.


I know, I know. I sound like SUCH a mom...!

more breakfast dishes for the all day jammy club:
Mexican Breakfast Casserole
Original Hashbrown Casserole
Breakfast Potatoes and Sausage
Egg, Feta, and Mushroom Casserole
Breakfast Risotto
Baked Oatmeal
Grits
Pancakes
Yogurt
Hardboiled Eggs (no! don't try these!)