Pages

Selasa, 18 Mei 2010

Greek Spiced Spareribs Slow Cooker Recipe

(that's my friend Claudia's plate she left during the super bowl. she might not be getting it back...)

Who's ready for some ribs? Although it's the middle of May, which usually is the beginning of outdoor grilling time, our weather has been so chilly, that I'm perfectly happy staying inside to slow cook my ribs.

Actually, if it was super hot outside, I'd still want to be inside slow cooking my ribs. Ribs just taste better when slow cooked.
anyhow.

I LOVE THESE RIBS! The meat falls right off the bone, and while there are a lot of listed ingredients--it comes together very quickly. This spice combination is fantastic; it'd make an old leather shoe taste good.

The Ingredients.
serves 4-6 or 2 hungry moms

4 pounds pork spareribs (you can use beef, too)
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon anise
1 teaspoon ground mustard
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns (leave intact)
4 whole cloves (leave intact)
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 cup orange juice


The Directions.

Use a 6-quart slow cooker. Place ribs into cooker. In a mixing bowl, combine the brown sugar with all of the ground spices. Rub this mixture the best you can on all sides of the ribs. Throw in the whole peppercorns and cloves. Drizzle on the honey, and add orange juice.
Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or until meat is super tender and separates from the bone.

The Verdict.

Wonderful. I shared these ribs with my friend Georgia( who happens to be Greek), and we stood in my kitchen the day after I made them and ate the leftovers cold with the refrigerator door wide open. I was planning to reheat them, but she wanted just a nibble, and before we realized what happened we scarfed down 3 ribs each while waiting for the coffee to percolate.

I'm glad the kids were busy watching The Backyardigans so we didn't have to share!