Pages

Selasa, 27 Oktober 2009

Slow Cooker Witch's Brew Recipe


Happy almost-Halloween! We had a play date today, and my 5-year-old taste-testers couldn't get enough of this stuff. The comments I overheard were priceless:

"it doesn't taste like there are spiders or lizards or bugs in it"
"how did your mom even know how to make this?"
"is my tongue green yet?"
"I've never had ice cream in a drink before"
"I guess this is why witches have green faces"

This is a super easy hot beverage to whip up, and tastes like a lovely citrus cocktail. I'm sure you could put a shot or two of something in there if you are planning on serving adults.

The Ingredients.
serves 8-10


2 quarts apple juice
2 quarts pineapple juice (or thereabouts. the canned holds 1 quart, 14 oz)
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1 box (6 ounces) lime jello powder
5-6 whole star anise *
orange sherbert (to add before serving)

* I wouldn't go out of my way to purchase star anise if you don't already have it in the house. It looks neat floating in the pot (like little spiders), and provides a touch of a licorice taste, but not enough to justify the expense. If you really want a tad bit of licorice flavor, throw in a few jelly beans and call it a day.

The Directions.

You will need a 5.5 quart or larger slow cooker. If you only have a smaller one in the house, you'll need to cut down the juice quantities.

Pour in the juices, and add the allspice. Stir in the jello powder, and float the star anise (if using) on top. Cover and cook on low for about 5 hours, or on high for about 3. Serve with a scoop of orange sherbert---it will cool the beverage down enough for small children to enjoy right away, and creates a fun foamy slimy film---perfect for Halloween.

The Verdict.

Delicious. It's quite limey in flavor, and a really fun color. I debated whether or not to thrown in a handful of grapes to mimic eyeballs, and am glad I decided not to. I think the possible choking hazard thing would worry me too much. My little friends were thrilled with their after-school snack (I promise I fed them lunch before filling them up with sugar!) and I received many sticky hugs and thank yous.

I also taught them my favorite joke of all time:

What's Ernie's favorite ice cream?

SureBert!

hahahahahahaa

P.S. don't look now, but the Holidays are right around the corner. They really, and truly are. Here's a round-up I did on Totally Together for Holiday Gifts that Support Bloggers.

also, if you have not yet entered the $200 gift card giveaway, it's still going strong over on my Review Blog.

Have a fantastic Halloween. Be safe!