Pages

Kamis, 18 Juni 2009

Make it Fast, Cook it Slow: The Big Book of Everyday Slow Cooking



Make it Fast, Cook it Slow: The Big Book of Everyday Slow Cooking contains 338 tried-and-true slow cooker recipes.

The book is the best of the best of my "Year of Slow Cooking"----these are recipes that have been tested in my own home kitchen using my own slow cookers, and have been tasted by my own (sometimes picky) family. The recipes have also been tested by home cooks from around the world, with their notes and results documented under each recipe on the website.

The book is set up the same way as the blog, with detailed instructions and a short "verdict."
To keep the price of the book down, and to include as many recipes as possible, I have opted to not include photos.

I don't like cooking before I cook, and prefer to not brown meat on the stove top before throwing it into the pot. Many people prefer to pre-brown meat---they like the color and texture this step provides. Whether or not you pre-brown meat is a personal choice, and unless I've specifically included pre-browning in the instructions, assume that the meat has gone in raw (sometimes frozen!) and undoctored.

We are a gluten free family. Gluten is found in wheat, barley, and rye. Oats are off limits, too, unless they are from a specified gluten-free source. Everything in the book has been made completely gluten-free. If you do not need to worry about gluten, feel free to ignore my notes or file them away in case you ever need to cook for someone with a gluten intolerance. As always, read labels carefully on your own since manufacturers have been known to switch ingredients without notice.

If you'd like to learn more about going gluten free, I recommend the following websites:
Sure Foods Living
Gluten Free Easily
The W.H.O.L.E. Gang (whole healthy organic living everyday)
Karina's Kitchen, Recipes from a Gluten Free Goddess
Elana's Pantry

Because we live with allergies, and because I'm a crazy Californian, I try to balance the amount of fat, sodium, and processed foods our family ingests. I'm certainly not a purist, and definitely enjoy a good dose of Velveeta now and then, but the recipes I've included in this book are not your typical "cover with cream-of-whatever soup" slow cooker fare.

Thank you so much for your support, it means so very much.

Any questions? Email me directly at crockpotlady AT gmail DOT com.

xoxo steph

updated 12/21/09: Make it Fast, Cook it Slow is on the New York Times Best-Seller List (12/27 edition) for Advice/How-To, paperback.
WOW. Thank you so much for all of your love, support, and interest.