Pages

Minggu, 30 November 2008

Maple Dijon Chicken CrockPot Recipe


Day 335.

I think anything with the word "dijon" in the title instantly sounds exquisite and marvelous---even though it's only a $2.99 condiment. Dijon is the show-off in the mustard family.

Carissa sent me this recipe on my birthday, and I printed it out right away. I was pleasantly surprised to have everything in the house already (well, minus the bay leaves).

The Ingredients.


--1 lb chicken pieces (I used frozen breast tenderloins)
--1 cup chicken broth
--2 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped

--1 onion, chopped
--2 T dijon mustard
--3 T maple syrup
--3 cloves garlic, chopped

--2 bay leaves
--1 tsp thyme

The Directions.


I used a 4 quart crockpot---it was a good size. This fed the four of us with a tiny bit left for lunch the next day. If you have a large family or would like leftovers, double the quantity.


Put the chicken into the bottom of your crockpot and toss it with the thyme, maple syrup, and dijon mustard.


Peel and slice the sweet potato, and add to the pot. Add the onion and garlic. If you don't want your onion to have a crunch, put it at the bottom of the crockpot; otherwise on top of the chicken is fine.


Pour in the chicken broth. Add the bay leaves.


Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 4-5. This is done when the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables reach desired tenderness.


The Verdict.


Very good, and quite moist. The picture up above is a bit misleading----I had enough juice in the pot to ladle over the vegetables and some leftover white rice. The sweet potato fell apart a bit, so some were more mashed than chunky.
The kids each ate 2 of the breast tenderloins, and a bit of sweet potato.

Thank you, Carissa --I really liked this chicken a lot-- I enjoyed the flavor and appreciated how easy it was to throw together.